Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Droughtscapes

Droughtscapes (approx. 5"x4" each)

The droughtscapes are my latest series of mail art.  They are going out today.  Over the last few years I have been looking for ways to make my own collage material.  With these new pieces I used different types of black paper and painted them with bleach.   Until I got started, I was not sure how the paper would react due to the different dyes that are used in paper manufacturing, etc.  I like the effect and was immediately reminded of an aerial view of a dry landscape.  Right now in California this relentless drought becomes a grim inspiration.

I also owe a big thanks to the artist Dorothy Yuki who showed us examples of this bleach technique at this month’s Correspondence Coop meeting. 
                  

1 comment: