Monday, February 8, 2016

Back to Sweden




The cycle of collecting things that eventually end up in my art can take a long time.  In 1984, in a small town called Horndal, I helped myself to many of the free postcards offered by the Swedish Postal Service.  Over 30 years later, the last of these postcards have been cut up and reassembled.  Now they are on their way out as new mail art.  One is even going back to friends in Horndal.  I was tempted to also send one back to little post office in Horndal.  Sadly, the post office is no more.  Sweden decided to close most of its small town post offices.  When I travel around the United States and stop in a rural post office, it always is a reminder how every small post office remains an important part of the community it serves.  Not just as a provider of services, but as a gathering place where locals meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment