Monday, October 31, 2016

Creepy Mail Art for Halloween

I recently received this little booklet from Philatelic Atrocities in Portland, Oregon.  Technically it is not Halloween-themed mail art, but there is something creepy about that tongue.  This is creepy-in-a-good-way versus the occasional, unsolicited, mail art I receive that, well, is just creepy (don’t worry, you never have to see that stuff).
I discovered a Philatelic Atrocities blog and a book as well.  I assume Niko Courtelis is the artist behind this piece.

Personally I do not miss licking stamps.  I do miss the older engraved stamps, both the look and the hand. Today’s ‘stickers’ are somewhat soulless.   Sometimes I purchase, old, unused stamps, but I use a damp sponge rather than licking them.  It is funny, but for something that we all did at one time, licking the back of a postage stamp just seems nasty now.  But to each his own and I am so glad I received some Last Licks.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is the same Niko -- he started the Portland Correspondence co-op and attended EX Postal Facto.
    (I thought the tongue was kinda creep too)

    ReplyDelete