Saturday, April 4, 2020

Stay Home, Make Art, Check the Stamp Collection – Day 19


Like many artists who send mail art, I like using old, unused, postage stamps.  As long as they have never been used, they are still valid.  With the exception of the more recent Forever Stamps, this means covering envelopes with a collage of postage to reach the 55¢ needed for domestic mail or $1.20 for international.  
I never pay more than face value for the unused stamps, and many dealers will even sell them for less.  You can find them online and at places like the Vintage Paper Fair.  For some reason, I have still held on to my unused postage stamps.  The ones I used to collect going back to the time it was 8¢ to mail a letter.  As part of my sorting and organizing for some postage stamp-based art, I have now set these aside to use for postage.   Some are more than 40 years old, they have not appreciated in value but remain suitable for sending mail art.

No comments:

Post a Comment