Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Looking for Amy and finding much more…

I loved Amy Winehouse.  She remains part of the soundtrack when I am making art.  An extraordinary talent that sadly lost her battle with her demons and died far, far too young. When a show dedicated to her turns up locally at the Contemporary Jewish Museum, I knew had to see it.  I also was curious, what could they tell us that was exhibit-worthy in Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait?  Honestly, one would have to be the most obsessive of fan to really appreciate this show.  Frankly, Amy Winehouse grew up in a most ordinary family – as do many people who go on to do great things.  What would Amy ask if she saw this show?  You know I almost can hear, “What kind of fuckery is this?”

By no means was the afternoon a disappointment.  I love repurposing globes myself, and Dave Lane’s Lamp of the Covenant installation is outstanding (shown above).  If you don’t want to visit the entire museum, you can pop into the lobby and get a look.   And the second floor has a strong show titled Night Begins the Day: Rethinking Space, Time, and Beauty.  It features the work of 27 artists including a number of recent pieces by Fred Tomaselli that come close to stealing the show.  Personally it was a good follow up to a show I saw of his work in May.  This show closes September 20, 2015 – it’s worth getting a look before it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment