Friday, July 13, 2012

Can artists use Pinterest?



As new social network sites come and go, it’s hard to be sure which ones will really stick around.  Among a few of my friends, there is a bit of debate about Pinterest“What’s the point?” seems to be a question that often comes up.  Frankly, I am not sure where Pinterest is going.  But so far, I have found it useful.  It is a good way for me, as well as others, to share some of my own artwork.  But I also find it a useful way to catalog some of the work I like by creating different art-themed boards. 

Earlier this year I wrote about how I have my own album of museum cards.  It acts as a personal, do-it-yourself, art book.  Sometimes I find it interesting to look at the book and reflect on cards I chose for it years ago.  It’s akin to reading old journal entries to look back on how one was thinking years before.  I’ve realized, with Pinterest, I am able to create a similar set of albums, but in this case I can share them with others.  It’s still too early to tell, but Pinterest, or something like it, might become a future source of reference for art historians.  They will be able to look back on the online boards created by artists to get a sense of what they were looking at and even being influenced by.  Now to get more artists to start using Pinterest, in the meantime, feel free to follow me.  






An additional posting about artists using the internet to promote their work is here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment