Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Art Sampling 1997 and 2013




Sample Collages, mixed media color reproductions, 8"x10" each

Back in the 1990’s I went out nightclubbing – a lot.  The dance music was often made after sampling other music.  In 1997 I created a series of collages that were essentially art samplings. I sampled art by cutting up art magazines into small pieces and reconfiguring the parts into new works of art.  I then reprinted the images using a color copier. The results were a slick, smooth art re-mix.

In June 2013 it was time to revisit the idea.  This time I created a print with samples of my own mixed media art.  100 prints were sent out to different artists that I correspond with. They also create mail art.  If they wish, they can incorporate my samples into their own work.


2 comments:

  1. Dear Tofu, many thanks for the print, very inspiring. I´ll use it.
    See you next in the mailbox.
    Greetings from Susannia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Tofu
    I got my sampler yesterday. Cool idea from you, as always. Love your creativity. My best wishes fro Puerto Rico.
    Roberto - PIRO

    ReplyDelete