Monday, June 30, 2014

Andrea Bergen


When I was visiting Studio 17 in the Mission and discussing Collage meets Landscape with another artist, she immediately said, “You must meet Andrea!”  I followed her down the hall to Andrea’s studio and, before I could even say hello, I knew I had to have her work in the show.  

Andrea’s does cut paper collages of landscapes and wildlife scenes.  At first glance they reminded me of cheerful, old fashioned, paint-by-numbers works.  A closer look and you realize they are all constructed from hand cut pieces of colored paper.  And the images can be deceptively sweet until you take a second look and realize the wildlife is often exacting revenge on humans and other animals.  Some are quite twisted but the palette prevents them from being described as “dark.”  I keep returning to her website, and every time I do, I find myself laughing out loud at things like polar bears wrestling great white sharks and raccoons smoking big fat joints.

More of Andrea’s work can be seen on her website.



The Collage + Landscape = Collagescape will be on view at San Francisco’s Glama-Rama Salon and Gallery at 304 Valencia Street in San Francisco.
The show runs from July 29 to September 28, 2014 with an opening reception on Friday, August 1 (7pm to 10 pm).
The exhibit will have two components:
On the main level, there will be an exhibit of my new series of work called Collagescapes.
On the upper level of Glama-Rama, I am curating a companion show of mixed media works, where the theme will be Collage meets Landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment