Thursday, August 25, 2016

Landmarks as Locals See Them

Pacific Heights Hilltop
mixed media photo collage on board, 14”x11”
Imagery of San Francisco is ubiquitous almost everywhere on the planet.  It reaches around the world in TV, movies and advertising.  Of course San Francisco is a tourist magnet and one of the most photographed cities in the world.  The camera fell in love with our City almost as soon as it was invented.  Even in the 19th Century, San Francisco was photographed more than most cities. 

I live two blocks from Alamo Square and its iconic row of Victorian houses.  It might seem like an obvious choice for my series of Time Travel Photos.  I enjoy hanging out in the park, but I have not chosen it as a location for this series.  Locals anywhere will see their home differently than tourists — San Francisco is no exception.  For a Pacific Heights piece I choose one of the 1920s apartment buildings that appear on hilltops and prominent corners all over San Francisco.  When I see these buidlings, I think home, I think San Francisco. 

The new series of Time Travel Photos will be presented in a new show at San Francisco’s Glama-Rama Salon and Gallery.  The show runs from October 11 to November 27, 2016.  Mark your calendar for the opening reception on the evening of Saturday, October 15 at 7:30 pm.

1 comment: