Saturday, October 29, 2016

Mail Art to Remember

I have a life long love of finding ephemera hidden in old books.  I have also left bits and pieces behind in my own personal library over the years.  In 2010 I started distributing art with the intent that the recipients were to hide the art in a book (read about the original piece here).  Over the last five years I have mailed out series of small works and included the instructions that each one was to be hidden in a book.

Next week is one of my favorite holidays, Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).  While I am very much drawn to the folk art and iconography surrounding the holiday, it is the purpose of the day itself that has deep, personal meaning for me.  It is always important to remember, but I really like the idea of setting aside a day to especially honor and reconnect with those who have departed our lives.

This year, I decided to bring together mail art to be hidden in a book with the holiday when we remember the dead.  There is a new series on the way in the mail, but this one has slightly different instructions enclosed with the art.  When the recipients choose a book, they are instructed to select a book that either:
  • was given to you by a friend or loved one who has departed.
  • belonged to a friend or loved one who has departed.
  • or even a book you know they would enjoy.

The idea being that the art placed in the book is both an offering and another way to connect and remember a friend or loved one who has passed.


If you like this idea and want to make art to hide in books, you can even download and print a copy of the instructions to enclose (you will find them here).

No comments:

Post a Comment